Born in: Santiniketan Birth Date: 3rd November, 1933 AD Nationality: INDIAN Famous as: Economist, Philosopher
- Amartya Sen is an award winning economist, philosopher and writer. A voice of the poor and malnourished, Sen devised practical solutions to prevent shortage and starvation.
- He also helped to create the United Nations Human Development Index . It also featured on Times Magazine List of “ Worlds 50 most influential People Who matter”.
- Under achievements, he also has won an array of laurels including the Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award in INDIA.
- Committed sincerely towards ending of deprivation and poverty, Amartya Sen is the sixth Indian to receive a Nobel and the first Asian recipient of the Economics Prize.
Early Life And Childhood :-
- Born on 3rd Nov, 1933 AD, Amartya Sen was enrolled at the St. Gregory school, Dhaka in 1941 and after the partition, his family moved to INDIA.
- He also graduated Presidency College, Kolkata with a First Class Honours in B.A. Economics in 1953.
- Sen submitted his Ph.D . thesis titled “the choice of Techniques”, in 1959.
- From 1961 to 1972, A. Professor at the Delhi School Of Economics . After that, a professor at London School of Economics.
- “Collective Choice and Social Welfare”— his first book . Also, one of his most influential monographs, published in 1970.
- In 1973, he also published his book “On Economic Inequality” was a study of the theory of welfare economics in relation to the study of economic inequality.
- In 1998, his Nobel Prize Lecture publication titled ‘The Possibility of Social Choice’, was one of his major works in his life, in which he declared that welfare economics was a core theme in social change theory.
- Presently, he is working as a Professor of Economics and Philosophy at the Harvard University.
Major Works :-
- The Nobel Prize Committee recognised his publication ‘Development as Freedom’ ,as an important contribution in the field of economic development theory.
- One of his seminal 1992 works ‘Inequality Reexamined’ addresses some of the most important concerns for and of inequality.
Awards and Achievements
- Was awarded the Adam Smith Prize in 1954.
- Amartya Sen was also the recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences,in 1998
- Also awarded the Bharat Ratna in 1999.
- Moreover, in 2011, was awarded National Humanities Medal.
CONTENT CREDITS- PRAVSARAN SINGH